Pork Chops with Braised Red Cabbage, Apple and Cranberries
Recipe Type: Dinner
Serves: 4 Servings
- 1 small red cabbage, about 1 lb., quartered and cored
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 boneless lean center-cut pork chops, 4-ounces each
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 12 slices each
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cut cabbage crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. There should be about 6 cups. Reserve any extra to use in salads or another use.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork chops on each side, about 1 minute, and remove from pan. Add onion to pan and cook until limp, 3 minutes. Add cabbage, apples and cranberries and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted, 4-5 minutes. Pour in juice and vinegar, and cook 3 minutes. Mix in zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and pepper. Add salt, to taste. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, then add chops. Cook until cabbage is tender and pork registers 160 degrees F on meat thermometer, 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, spread 5 cups of cabbage onto platter, and top with chops. If there is cabbage remaining, cool and refrigerate, covered, for up to 5 days.
Calories: 410 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 51g Sodium: 105mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 28