Golden Quick Barley with Sweet Peas and Corn
Recipe Type: Side Dish
Serves: 4 Servings
For a quick and easy side dish, look no further than your pantry and freezer staples. Quick cooking barley pairs well with frozen sweet green peas and corn. Barley is a whole grain that’s rich in soluble fiber, beneficial for controlling blood sugar, cholesterol and weight. It also contains beta–glucans that may help prevent inflammation and chronic diseases like cancer. Turmeric contains curcumin, a golden pigment that has antioxidant properties. Makes 4 servings. Yield: 3 cups; 3/4 cup per serving.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup quick pearled barley
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- Juice of 1/4 fresh lemon (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1-2 Tbsp. shredded Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, optional
- In 2-quart medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add barley and stir 1 minute to toast.
- Add broth, Italian seasoning, salt, turmeric and 4-5 grinds pepper. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas and corn. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Barley mix should be slightly wet.
- Stir in lemon juice. Sprinkle on or mix in cheese, if using, and serve immediately.
Serving size: 3/4 Cup Calories: 223 Fat: 5gm Saturated fat: 1gm Carbohydrates: 40gm Sodium: 351mg Fiber: 7gm Protein: 8gm